A man killed in a shooting outside an East London Tube station suffered two gunshot wounds to the head, an inquest has heard.
Plaistow resident Otas Sarkus, 20, was rushed to hospital in a critical condition following a shooting close to Upton Park station at around 11pm on August 18. He died of his injuries at the Royal London Hospital two days later.
An inquest was opened into his death at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court on Wednesday (September 1).
The court heard that police and London Ambulance Service paramedics were called to reports of a male having been shot in Raymond Road, a “busy residential area” in Newham.
Emergency services arrived to find Otas “bleeding from the mouth and eye”.
He was rushed to the Royal London Hospital and “underwent several CT scans” that showed “two projectiles in his head”.
Acting Senior Coroner Graeme Irvine told the court: “On August 18, a call was made to police reporting a male had been shot near Upton Park train station.
“Officers attended and found Mr Otas Sarkus bleeding from the mouth and eye. Mr Sarkus was conveyed to the Royal London Hospital where he underwent several CT scans.
“A scan showed two projectiles in the head. One was lodged in the brain and the second appeared to have entered the eye.
“It was confirmed he had sustained an unsurvivable head injury and his life was pronounced extinct 2.27pm on August 20, 2021.”
A post-mortem examination carried out five days later confirmed a medical cause of death of gunshot wounds to the head.
The inquest was subsequently adjourned pending the outcome of an ongoing Metropolitan Police murder investigation.
No individuals have been arrested or charged in connection with the incident.
MyLondon’s brilliant new newsletter The 12 is packed with news, views, features and opinion from across the city.
Every day we’ll send you a free email at around 12pm with 12 stories to keep you entertained, informed and uplifted. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.
The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our 45 journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets.
Never miss a moment by signing up to The 12 newsletter here.
Otas’ family continue to be supported by specialist officers.
Police were also called to a Route 238 bus in Plashet Grove after a second man, 18, also suffered a gunshot injury in the same incident. His injuries were not life-threatening, though.
Detective Chief Inspector Linda Bradley, said: “Our heartfelt thoughts are with Otas’ family and friends at this time. We have been working tirelessly to try to understand the circumstances surrounding this incident and are today appealing for the public’s help with our investigation.
“The shooting happened in a busy residential area, and I am appealing for people to check their dashcams or private CCTV, specifically for any white Volvo SUV/4x4s – which we believe to have been involved – in the areas of Upton Park and Forest Gate between 10pm and 11pm on Wednesday.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 or tweet @MetCC quoting Operation Tielen or CAD 7763/18Aug.
Alternatively, call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Want more news? Sign up to My London’s FREE newsletters here.