Tottenham director of football Fabio Paratici is closing in on an agreement with Ligue 1 side Metz for Pape Sarr, the club’s President, Bernard Serin, has confirmed.
The youngster made his senior debut in Senegal for Generation Foot – the academy that hosted the early development of Sadio Mane and Ismaila Sarr – before joining Metz on a five-year deal in September 2020.
However, as it appears, he won’t see out that five-year contract, as confirmed by Serin on Sunday.
As per the Daily Mail, Serin said: ‘We are in advanced talks with Tottenham for Sarr, yes, but it is not done yet. The final fee will be higher than €10million (£8.6million).”
The report from the Mail adds that he is expected to sign a six-year contract before returning to Metz on a season-long loan once everything has been agreed.
Despite only being promoted to the first-team in November, Sarr went onto make 28 appearances last season, and has attracted interest from a host of Premier League clubs, including the likes of Aston Villa, Everton and even Spurs’ London rivals, Chelsea.
Meanwhile, some are suggesting that he is being brought in as a long-term replacement for out of favour Tottenham midfielder, Tanguy Ndombele.
football.london first revealed earlier this month that Ndombele was considering his options this summer and he is believed to have told Spurs that he wants to leave once again.
The Frenchman also admitted to football.london last season that he told friends within his first few weeks of joining from Lyon that he wanted to leave the club due to the tough nature of Mauricio Pochettino’s pre-season training sessions.
Ndombele is yet to feature under Nuno Espirito Santo this season, and wasn’t involved in any of Tottenham’s pre-season friendlies, which suggests that his time in north London could be nearing its end.