The Duchess of Cambridge has said she is “saddened” by the death of primary school teacher Sabina Nessa.
Sabina, 28, was found dead in Cator Park, in Kidbrooke, at around 5.30pm last Saturday.
Police believe the 28-year-old was killed at around 8.30pm the night before on Friday (September 17).
A vigil is being held in memory of the primary school teacher today in Pegler Square in Kidbrooke.
The Duchess of Cambridge paid a tribute to Sabina before the vigil began at 7pm.
Kate Middleton issued a statement on the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s official Twitter account at 6.45pm today.
The tweet read: ”I am saddened by the loss of another innocent young woman on our streets. My thoughts are with Sabina’s family and friends, and all those who have been affected by this tragic event. C.”
The Duchess of Cambridge previously attended the vigil held in memory of Sarah Everard, who was raped and murdered Metropolitan Police officer, Wayne Couzens.
Sabina was found dead five minutes away from her home on Astell Road last Saturday.
Detectives believe the 28-year-old left her home address just before 8.30pm last Friday (September 17).
It is believed that she was making her way through Cator Park towards The Depot bar on Pegler Square, Kidbrooke Village, where she planned to meet a friend.
However, Sabina never arrived at the pub and is thought to have been killed as she walked through the park.
A dog walker found Ms Nessa’s body hidden under a pile of leaves close to the OneSpace community centre nearly 24 hours after she missed her planned date on Saturday.
MyLondon’s brilliant new newsletter The 12 is packed with news, views, features and opinion from across the city.
Every day we’ll send you a free email at around 12pm with 12 stories to keep you entertained, informed and uplifted. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.
The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our 45 journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets.
Never miss a moment by signing up to The 12 newsletter here.
A 38-year old man was arrested on suspicion of murder yesterday (September 23) but he has since been released under investigation.
Another man in his 40s who was held on suspicion of murder on Sunday (September 19) was also been released under further investigation.
Earlier today police released a CCTV video of a man they want to locate and speak to in connection with the death of the primary school teacher.
The newly released CCTV video shows a man walking in Pegler Square, SE3, on the evening police believe Sabina was killed.
The Met released images of the same man yesterday (September 23) along with a vehicle they are searching for.
A post-mortem examination, which was carried out on Monday September, 20, was inconclusive.
Officers are urging anyone who recognises the man and vehicle to make contact with them immediately.
Detective chief inspector Neil John, from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said: “We want to thank those who have shared our image appeal over the last 24 hours – it has gained a huge amount of coverage and we are extremely grateful for the public’s help.
“We are now a week on from Sabina’s [death] and while we have made good progress with our investigation we must keep this appeal for information going and encourage anyone who has any information to come forward.”
We’re covering the vigil for Sabina live, read all the updates here.
Anyone with information should call the police incident room on 0208 721 4266 or Crimestoppers completely anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Do you want the latest crime, sport, or breaking news in London straight to your inbox? Tailor your needs to suit you here.