Here is your Chelsea morning digest for Wednesday, August 18.
Abraham transfer confirmed
Tammy Abraham’s transfer to AS Roma was confirmed on Tuesday morning as he joined the Italian outfit for a £34million fee.
The 23-year-old penned a five-year contract with Jose Mourinho’s side as the Blues’ director Marina Granovskaia ensured that a £68million buyback clause was inserted into the Englishman’s contract, coming into effect from the summer of 2023.
And Abraham confirmed that Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger was integral in convincing him to make the switch.
“They [ Antonio Rudiger and Emerson Palmieri] loved everything, especially Toni Rudiger, he told me he would always play for Roma again,” Abraham told Roma’s website when asked what Emerson and Rudiger told him about the club.
“Hearing it gave me confidence. As I said, I felt good from day one, I just have to do my best this season and help the team as much as possible.”
Read the full interview here.
Lukaku’s Premier League verdict
Chelsea’s new star striker Romelu Lukaku has claimed that Serie A is a more tactically astute league when compared to the Premier League.
“Italy is tactically and technically a better league but here in England, it’s all about the intensity”, Lukaku told Chelsea’s website.
“That’s what makes the difference but it’s no problem for me because I’ve been here for eight years and I know what it’s all about.
“It’s not like I’m a new player coming in and not quite knowing what to expect. I know the league, I’ve scored a fair amount of goals here but the past is the past and now we have to look forward.”
Read the full piece here.
The summer window is ramping up as the Blues are chasing some big name and big money targets, so we want to make sure you’re always in the know.
By signing up to the Chelsea newsletter here, you’ll be receiving the latest news and rumours directly to you, as well as exclusive articles and content from club writers Sam Inkersole and Adam Newson, plus a daily transfer round-up recapping the news and rumours all for free!
And if you want to take part in the debate in the comments and join in with the Q&As to get your questions answered, create an account here, because we want to hear from you too.
Zouma transfer blow
West Ham United are still interested in signing Chelsea centre-half Kurt Zouma, according to the Evening Standard, who claim that the Hammers are ‘not giving up’ on their pursuit of the French defender.
The 26-year-old is reportedly demanding over £100,000-a-week, almost double his current wages, a sum that David Moyes’ side cannot afford given their ‘limited budget’.
The Blues are interested in Zouma’s compatriot Jules Kounde, who is currently at Spanish outfit Sevilla, but any deal to bring him to Stamford Bridge will likely hinge on Zouma’s future according to a report from 90Min earlier in the month.
Read more here.